Assignment: Write a travel guide piece that takes place in the world that you’ve imagined in the previous work thus far. The piece should be roughly 500 words. Due via CritViz before class on Wednesday.
Travel guide tips: Readers need to know where the story is based, who it concerns, how action unfolded, etc. The Travel Guide piece is meant to be yet another window on the world you’re imagining, but told from a point of view that is different from that of your first story. The stakes and location may be the same, but both the objectives of the piece and the perspective are different.
Imagine that you’re writing about your techno-world for a travel magazine – among the elements to be included:
- The Lead—snappy opening to attract reader interest
- Where—the place, grounding the reader in geography
- When—the season, grounding the reader in time, climate
- Who—introduce the writer, to identify with the reader (this can be you or a fictional authorial persona)
- Why—reason for the trip, the motive, draws the reader into the story
- How—the process of travel unfolds
- What—the story details, quotes from people in the place, anecdotes and facts
- The Conclusion—wraps up the article, perhaps linking ending to lead
While the Lead and the Conclusion should come in their relative spots, you need not write the piece in this order. It’s more a checklist of elements to include.